Our new mission. To have fun with old ads, and look at America in years past.

<

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Psycho Pop Vol. 1 (Various Artists)

Well, I think I've had something happen that hasn't happened in quite some time. A disc grabbed me by the balls and wouldn't let go. This release from Acidsoxx music features a multitude of artists, many of whom you probably haven't heard of. I know I haven't. Jtiom, Maise, Waxen W. Wane among others.
The best description I could think of was a lot of techno blended with so many other sounds. From crazy trippy circus music on Blind Circle to the strange lyrics of The Sandbox Legacy, there is nowhere these artists are afraid to go. One big plus is the way this thing commands your attention right off the bat with Bloated Floater. There were faint hints of familiarity throughout. The offbeat tones and rhythm of Hippopatames Sous Leau reminded me of Frank Zappa in his heydey. I also caught a couple of tunes that had a hint of Todd Rundgren in one case, and King Missile in another.
If I had to pick on one track, it would be I Like Girls. It was a bit nonsenical in the overall song structure. It just didn't blow my dress up. Conversely, No Job and I Hardly Know were two outstanding songs hiding towards the end of the disc. They are noticably different from other tunes on this disc and sort of sneak up on you just when you think you have a feel for what is going on here. As much as I like the tempo of this disc, the step to something more downtempo and casual was very welcome.
There are a couple of "FCC" tracks that contain some cursing and sexual references, but it's an otherwise great disc. I'm completely impressed for so many reasons, mostly because of the originality involved.
Easy......EASY....A...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home