Our new mission. To have fun with old ads, and look at America in years past.

<

Saturday, October 01, 2005

The Caribbean

Plastic Explosives

Ignatz, where are you?
(Previous line for my amusement only.)

The Caribbean is a group with an interesting and unique sound. Their disc Plastic Explosives lures us in with some nice dreamy guitar and a soft faraway feel. The songs venture hither and yon, reminding me at times of Architecture in Helsinki. I'm too lazy for links. I just like to highlight pertinent names. At first glance, 18 tracks makes this disc look loaded, but at least 6 or so are only a minute or less. They are a bit harder to describe than the rest of the disc. Some involve conversation, whistling, and very short musical interludes. All in all, this is a very smooth and laid back disc. What's particularly pleasing are the tracks towards the middle and end that go with a slightly offbeat and ear catching rhythm. It works. This wouldn't find heavy rotation in my MP3 player, but it's not at all bad.
Clermont compares them to Simon and Garfunkle, The Shins and The Dismemberment Plan. I've only heard of one of these groups and have to disagree. I haven't written my official review of the disc yet, but so far I'm leaning towards a B+.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home